Vistara Raring To Take Off This November

Wednesday, 29th October 2014 at 08:36am

Vistara, a full-service airline and the latest to enter the Indian commercial aviation market, is set to take off before the end of this year as soon as it receives its permit to fly from India's Directorate-General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) this November.

The new airline is a product of a joint venture between India's largest conglomerate, Tata Sons, and Singapore Airlines.

According to a reliable source from DGCA, the carrier is in the thick of things in preparation to the launch of its operations late this year. It has recently taken delivery of two planes sporting its livery and are now parked in the undisclosed airport.

According to a senior DGCA official, the airline is already in the final stages of the application process before it is granted the permit. The same official said that if the airline is able to comply the last requirement early next month, it might be able to take off by the end of November.

The inaugural service was originally set on October 15 this year to commemorate the day when J.R.D. Tata, the founder of the giant Tata Group, piloted the first Tata Airlines flight from Karachi to Mumbai carrying mail of Imperial Airways on October 15, 1932. However, Airbus wasn't able to meet its commitment with the airline's order for the two brand-new aircraft, thus the approval process was also delayed.

The launch date is now pushed back to end of November which the airline expects to get its permit following the completion of all the requirements set by DGCA.

The carrier will make Delhi its main hub of operations with initial routes to nine major cities across India. These include Bangalore, Mumbai, Goa, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Jammu, Patna and Srinagar.

Initially, the airline will operate a fleet of five aircraft, most of which are A320s for its inaugural operations with frequency of 87 flights per week to nine routes, an average of one flight daily per destination.

The airline will mainly keep a fleet of narrow-body medium-range A320 jetliners in a three-class configuration.

Tata Group holds a majority stake, or 51%, in Vistara while the remaining 49% is held by Singapore Airlines, based on the newly-amended aviation law.

By: .

Cheap Flight Search

Depart From:
Arrive At:
Departure Date:
Return Date:

Sign up for the India Flights updates!

For all the latest news on India flights 'like' us now:

Skypicker banner